Skip to main content

When Doctors Said I Will Not Walk Again, I Wanted ...



Ayefele worked briefly as a broadcaster at the Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria, Ibadan, where he also produced jingles and musical works on radio. He began his music career in 1997 after he was involved in an automobile accident, which damaged his spinal cord and confined him to a wheelchair. While in the hospital, after spending about nine months, his friend, Kola Olootu visited and advised him to put some songs together. This suggestion resulted in the release of his debut album titled, Bitter Experience in 1998, which brought him into limelight. He never looked back since then. In this interview with Hazeez Balogun, he reminisces on life before and after the accident that changed his life, and his plans for the future.

20 years after the accident, what is your reflection these passing years?

The accident helped me know how important our spinal cords are. Each time I remember the pains I go through, I reflect on the importance of spinal cord at all time.

I remember the instances after the accident when you sang Bitter Experience and Sweet Experience, particularly as it concerns the late Kola Olawuyi; a lot might have happened but what memory do you hold of the entire situation?

Then, I think I will say that I was not grown then but now I have learnt my lesson because if had known, I would not have taken it to that extent. Now I believe that God has purpose for everything that happens and reasons for things that happened at a particular given period. If Kola Olawuyi has taken it upon himself then, maybe I won’t be where I am today.

For the first two weeks of the incident when you lay on the hospital bed, what was going on in your mind about your future?

I thought it was the end of the whole thing but, when I got to know that it was spinal cord injury; I was a bit confused because I did not really know much about spinal cord and its value in human lives. When I was told that I might be confined to a wheelchair for life, I thought I was going to die.

Eventually, I made up my mind and told God that I want to live and I will still walk again. I am still living because we were about over 40 that were brought to Neurological Department of the University Teaching Hospital, Ibadan (UCH) at that same time, virtually all of them died, I was the only survivor. I thought it was going to be the end for me, but God is indeed awesome.

How will you describe the experience when you were on your feet 31 years ago and been confined on the wheelchair 20 years now?

I can tell you authoritatively that life on the feet is far better than been on the wheelchair because you are restricted when you are on the wheelchair. The pains and the restriction alone are cumbersome because at the time you want to get something done, you cannot do it if there is no assistance.

But if you are on your feet despite not having cash in your pocket, you can still run around to get things done. But in all, I give thanks to God who has always been my shield and helper.

Which will you prefer, to be poor and walking or to be rich and be on a wheel chair?

That is technical. Well, if I had been on my feet, I know where my mates are and I know how we used to struggle together and how far they have gone. The truth is, if I was on my feet, I won’t be where I am. Definitely, I would have forged ahead and maybe become what I am now but for a reason or purpose, God has its way of doing things and he just said sit down. Maybe if I am not sitting down, I will have gone to where I am not supposed to be found.

How will you react to those who feel you prefer to be on the wheelchair?

Can one prefer or choose to be in pain? I am in terrible pain 24 hours a day because I have five ribs broken and I still have that persistent pain. I learn to live by it every day because if I want to be taking pills, it might cause damage to my kidney, liver or lungs so I decided to live with it everyday. So I cannot say I prefer living in pain — it’s impossible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pastor admits defrauding Atiku of N918m

A confessional statement tendered before an Ikeja High Court on Tuesday revealed how Pastor Nsikakabasi Akpan-Jacobs voluntarily confessed defrauding Mrs Titi Atiku, the wife of former Vice-President Abubakar Atiku of N918 million. Mr Dickson Graymond, a retired detective with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) insisted on the voluntariness of Akpan-Jacob’s alleged confessional statement while giving evidence during a trial. While being led in evidence by Mr Babatunde Sonoiki, the EFCC prosecuting counsel, Graymond said: “There are so many things that he confided in me that he refused to put into writing. “He admitted to me that Florence Doregos was Titi Atiku but he refused to put that into writing. “He confided in me that he wanted to contest in the Akwa-Ibom elections and that as soon as he begs Her Excellency, the matter will be over. “All what he told me were not forced, I did not even force him to write all what he confided in me in his confessional ...

Epic tho.. davido shades Caroline danjuma in new track #FIA

On his new single titled “Fia,” Davido subliminally shaded actress and girlfriend of late Tagbo, Caroline Danjuma. The two celebrities had a face-off that led them to the police for resolution. The issue emanated from the Caroline Danjuma’s Instagram post, accusing Davido of being involved in Tagbo’s death. The issue seem to have been resolved by the Nigerian police, with Davido vindicated and Caroline Danjuma embracing peace. But as expected, Davido addressed the issue on his latest single, Fia. His lyrics on the song, seem to be a shade to the beautiful actress. On the song, Davido said: “Caroline save your drama I dont need it, (its) for the soap opera. Holla holla Mr. Olopa I’m not hear to cause wahala o. Hello diva save your drama, you don’t need it in your soap opera o….”

Real Reason Why This Statue Of Fela Kuti In Lagos Is Headless

The 2017 edition of the festival was a special edition as it marked the 20th year anniversary of Fela’s demise, and the Lagos State government commemorated the legend by erecting ‘The Liberation’ a statue of Fela at Allen Roundabout, Ikeja, Lagos. To the surprise of several people, the statue erected was without a head and this raised a lot of suspiscion and comments from fans of the late Afrobeat legend. Responding on behalf of the family, Fela’s daughter and social commentator, Yeni Kuti has justified the design of the monument, saying it was the expression of how the artist felt about the late legend. She said: ‘Before people on social media will start to say the Fela has no head or it has no hand and so on, it is art and before you abuse us, let me answer quickly. It is art. How an artist feels is how he feels because if he had put a head and the head did not look like Fela, everybody will say the head did not look like Fela so now you cannot abuse the head because it is not even t...